Dark lips can seem scary but they shouldn't be. A vampy lip against a dewy complexion looks amazing in the winter. There are loads of way to incorporate a darker lip into your routine without looking like Lorde. Lorde knows it's not easy to plus off that full-on Gothic pout. Berry lipstick is back this season and it's the perfect colour choice for the colder weather. Here are some tips I've picked up to help you wear dark lipstick.
- A bold lip + chap lips is never a good look. Exfoliating before applying lipstick will help it go on smoother and last longer. Plus, the LUSH Lip Scrub in Mint Julips tastes incredible.
- Next you'll want to prime your lips. You can buy lip primers but I find lip balm works just as well. Do this step first thing before applying your makeup and save doing your lips until last.
- If you're using a matte lipstick I find it easiest to apply using a lip brush for precise application. Or use a lip liner for optimum longevity. I'm currently obsessed with the shade 'Loganberry' from No7.
- If you are after a intense colour use a tissue to blot the first layer then follow by applying a second coat directly from the bullet.
- If the idea of dark lips seems a bit intimidating go for a lip balm or butter for a lighter wash of colour. I really like the Collection Lip Butter in 'Perfect Plum'.
- Dark lips can be a bit harder to maintain because of their deeper, harder-to-go-wrong-colour so keep a pocket mirror on hand to avoid that lipstick on chin look.
What are your tips for rocking a dark lip?