2 May 2017

How to get silver hair at home

Well hello there. It's been a while since I posted hasn't it? I have a number of lame excuses but mainly a) my full time job and long commute was very time demanding and b) eating a sheep's brain became more appealing than swatching another lipstick. I thought taking a little time off rather than try to force anything would be the best thing to do. Weird when you loose your blogging mojo isn't it? Anyway, I'm back up and raring to go. I'm unsure what direction I see this blog going as I've changed a lot since it started in 2011 but I'm excited for a fresh start!


I almost want to start off this post with a *don't try this at home disclaimer* as this is the hardest hair transformation I've ever done. If you're feeling brave and prepared to go cold-turkey on heat styling please continue..
I instantly fell in love with the silver hair trend. The unnaturalness of grey hair on a young face was memorizing and I had to have it. Always one for DIY beauty I researched how to get the look at home and came across countless failed attempts but I was not to be put off. #NoPainNoGain. 

Attempt number #1
After seeing a lot of good reviews I purchased the Colour Freedom Dye in Silver Grey along with the Bleach London Bleach kit. I found the bleaching process fairly easy but it did leave me with very brassy, Wotsit-coloured hair. After a couple of washes with the Touch of Silver Brightening Shampoo (and staining my bath purple) I applied the Colour Freedom Dye, all on the same day. The end result was a light brown/grey shade that unfortunately not quite as Iris Apfel as I'd hoped.

Attempt #2 (four weeks later)
Round two of the bleaching and this time I was feeling a bit risky and went for something stronger. This again left my hair very brassy and I struggled to tone it using the Jerome Russell B Blonde White toner. My next move is something I still regret as I went and bleached my whole head again (why Kia, why?) to get it as computer-paper white as possible. As soon as I rinsed the bleach out I could feel a dramatic difference in the texture of my hair. Feeling like a bad beauty blogger I decided to leave my poor locks, it had suffered enough, and slathered my head in an overnight mask to recover.

Attempt #3
After my previous experience my poor over-bleached hair had been through enough stress. I didn't want to use any more bleach or dye so once again turned to my good friend Google for some advice. My research lead me to the Fudge Violet Toning Shampoo and thanks to Amazon prime I didn't have to wait long to fix my mess. After applying the shampoo all over and leaving it on for 15 minutes/checking the fridge to see if any new food had appeared I left the shower looking like Draco Malfoy - in a good way.

If my experience hasn't put you off  It's going to be hard work and a lot of maintenance but it is possible. Make sure our hair is in good condition to start with and treat yourself to a nourishing mask at least once a week. Good luck!

1 comment:

leave your blog/twitter link if you want me to have a nosey at it! I like to try and return comments too :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogger template by pipdig